Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Where is the Passion?

I haven’t updated this in awhile and, believe it or not, the sports world has remained active. Well, I did horrible with my NCCA bracket this year. Horrible is an understatement to say the least. I had the Oregon Ducks winning it all and, needless to say, I was wrong. It was a good tournament this year and I think things went pretty much to plan, a lot of people picked Florida to win and they did.

I’m in a bad mood for many reasons, the main reason though, is the Red Sox first game of the season ended up with them losing 1-7 against the Kansas City Royals. The Kansas City Royals! I had to turn the game off I was in such disgust. I wondered if maybe they lost because I just recently bought a new Red Sox hat and I was wearing it at the time. Then I realized what it was, Curt Schilling could careless if he does a good job pitching. He knows that the Red Sox are probably not going to renew his contract at the end of the season, so he has no reason to do any better than what he showed the other day.

I’m starting to feel very let down as a sports fan. I feel that the majority of the athletes that compete in sports today don’t have the same drive and fire that athletes did maybe 10 or 15 years ago. I’m not saying all athletes don’t have drive, but there are a lot that don’t. I know that’s a pretty big accusation to make but if I’m wrong, then prove me wrong. Show me the passion; no actually, show everyone the passion and the fire inside that makes you want to win a game regardless of the amount of money you’re getting paid.

The Red Sox play Kansas City again tonight with Beckett pitching. Hopefully things will go better. I know I’ll be watching.

I hope to update more later today and elaborate more on what exactly today’s athletes need in order to help them reignite their passion. For now however, look up information about Larry Bird and his drive to win. I might be miss quoting him, but I believe Bird said that “I've got a theory that if you give 100% all of the time, somehow things will work out in the end.”

No comments: