Friday, March 9, 2007

Simon sez knock you out!

If you've turned on your TV today at all you are probably well aware that in the NHL last night Chris Simon of the New York Islanders clotheslined the Rangers' Ryan Hollweg with his hockey stick. I'm have had very little exposure to hockey and can honestly say that I have never watched full game. The closest thing that to a hockey game that I've watched was when I was a kid I saw the movie "The Mighty Ducks". For some reason or another I've always been under the impression that what Chris Simon did is kind of the norm for NHL, apparently though, I was wrong.

As soon as I turned on Mike & Mike in the morning I heard what had happened, and then again on Sports Center and on SI.com and every where else it seems. What I'm wondering is the college basketball scene so boring that they need to have constant coverage of this one event? Most of the time sports channels barely touch on hockey, but all the sudden someone gets chopped in the chin with a hockey stick and we're paying attention.

Personally, I think that bad publicity for the NHL is actually great publicity. On any other day I'd be talking about basketball or the trades going on in the NFL off season or the upcoming Nextel Cup at Las Vegas, but not today. No, today I'm talking about hockey, and so is everyone else.

It's sad that it takes something very violent to happen for a lot of us to take notice. Do I think Chris Simon should be suspended for the rest of the season? Yes, and no. Yes to the fact that performed an extremely violent act, but no to the fact that he's creating publicity. The NHL needs all the help it can get.

As of right now Simon has been suspended indefinitely which is the right thing. Also, Hollweg get a few stitches in his chin and will be playing in the next Rangers game. A game that I might actually watch or at least pay attention to. Why? Well the NHL has all the sudden got my attention.

No comments: